Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Welcome Fall

Lots of fun things happening this fall. We started it off with Daddy's birthday last month (yes, I'm still playing catch up). Chris got a kayaking trip and reciprocating saw from me, and he used his birthday money to buy a battery powered nail gun. Oh the excitement of new tools.

Hannah was very eager to help Daddy open his present...

And she was also very eager to eat his cake...

Pumpkin spice cake with cream cheese frosting...yum!



With our CSA box we've been getting more interesting veggies. Can you name this one?


A Kabocha squash. It's basically a green pumpkin. With the inspiration of my friend Holly, I made a pie with it using my pumpkin pie recipe. The inside is orange like a regular pumpkin, although the puree seemed a little more sticky and less watery than a sugar pumpkin. It tasted really good, and I had so much puree left I made Rachel Ray's Sausage and Pumpkin Lasagna for dinner tonight. Another excellent dish.

We also got an acorn squash the other week. I know, that's not so unusual but I had never cooked one. So, once again I pulled out my trusty Taste of Home cookbook and found this recipe for Honey-Spice Acorn Squash. It was good, but a little bitter because I didn't cook it long enough. And in case you're wondering, I served it with chicken with an apple cream sauce.

No comments: